Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Garden Update

I've had some successes and failures in my little garden.

The sprouting red potatoes I planted did not do well at all. Nor did the Radishes, even though I planted them early enough and watered them regularly. Surprisingly, the onions did not take, and I think it is a soil issue rather than a heat and water issue. Green beans have sprouted and produced a few beans, but have not thrived despite having enriched soil.

Because I planted early and watered well, lettuce did well for me. My Zucchini plants are thriving and will probably bloom in the next week or so. It is no surprise that tomatoes are doing well. I planted Early Girl, Beefsteak, and Heatwave. All tomato plants except the beefsteak tomato plant have fruit on them. The Cherry Tomatoes are already turning red. My Big Jim pepper plants look great and are blossoming.

In my herb garden - the Basil did not reseed, and my Spearmint carried over from last year. It doesn't look great and I want to see if the extra feeding will help. The Rosemary bush is thriving, but the climate here in Las Cruces is friendly for Rosemary.

I'm going to plant some more beans, as I know they are heat tolerant, and hopefully, I'll have more success with them. Because of our long hot summers, I cannot plant a fall garden until the end of September.

I'd like to experiment with fruit trees and berries. Flower gardening is not my strong suit, but I hope to try them later.

Here's a good gardening site for Las Cruces Gardeners - Guzman's Garden Center

No comments: